Monday, October 19, 2009

Wedding Woes

My sister got married this weekend. While the event was beautiful and so much fun, it presented some challenges for the diet and exercise plan. I knew that I was going to be indulging in the adult beverages and be subject to foods that aren’t on my diet, so I was extra careful the entire week before the wedding so I wouldn’t gain any weight after a weekend of debauchery.

Rehearsal Dinner – Pizza and beer and wine, oh my! While I LOVED the location of the rehearsal dinner (Cubby Bear North in Lincolnshire), I didn’t love the dinner menu – Pizza, salad and cookies. I loaded up on the salad and used what looked to be the safest salad dressing option, the vinaigrette. I had 2 small squares of cheese pizza. Can you believe it was my first taste of pizza in about a month??? Crazy. Definitely not a perfect meal, but it was the best I could do. I stuck to water (no beers for this girl!) because not only did I not want the calories, but I look absolutely repulsive when I’m hung over which was not the look I was going for at the wedding.

Wedding Day – Um… yeah. I’m not going to lie. I pretty much ate and drank my heart out. And it was wonderful. I started the day with a “diet approved” breakfast, but it was all downhill when I left the house to get my hair done at the salon. When we returned, it had been hours since my breakfast and I was so hungry. My mom ordered a platter of mini sandwiches, some pasta salad and baked Lays for us to munch on before the photographer arrived. I had a mini turkey pita sandwich (no cheese, no mayo), a little bit of the pasta salad and a handful of baked Lays. Terrible… and quite simple carb ridden. To make matters worse, I didn’t eat again until 8pm when dinner was served. I had a few bites of my steak, the veggies and some potatoes. No bread. Oh yes, and all of my salad. What I haven’t included yet is the absolute landslide of cocktails I consumed. It was bad. Sorry Rob. And actually, sorry to me! I felt AWFUL on Sunday.

The Aftermath (Day after the wedding) – All I could think about was how much I wanted a diet Coke because before I was dieting it would always make me feel better after I’d consumed too many adult beverages, but when I cracked it open and took a sip on the car ride back to the city, it tasted so gross. Too bubby, too artificially sweet. Yuck. Could it be that my BODY doesn’t really crave soda anymore and it’s just my brain missing it? Probably so! I knew that no amount of salad would make my stomach feel better, so I compromised and picked up a 6 inch Subway sandwich instead of the McDonald’s I really wanted to get something filling in my belly. It worked. I felt a lot better after eating it and drinking, I kid not, 4 liters of water.

I haven’t worked out since Thursday and I feel gross, but I do have a session with Rob today so I know I’ll be getting in a good workout. After a bit of a tailspin this weekend, I need a good butt kicking today in the gym!

No comments:

Post a Comment