Friday, October 9, 2009

Rob Kicks My Ass/ Eating on the Road

Sweet mother of God, was Wednesday's workout intense. It's now Friday and my arms and pecs are incredibly sore. Actually, so are my ass cheeks (or gluts for those who aren't vulgar like me).

Because M and I are, at least in our minds, progressing in our strength and endurance, Rob has been cranking up the exercise routine, making us to more sets, longer durations of said sets and less rest time between sets. Let me tell you, Wednesday night was no exception. We did the usual squats, lunges, planks, bridges and hurling medicine balls at each other, but just when we thought we'd reached our pain threshold, Rob brought out these evil weighted long rods that we held while we did flutter kicks and scissor kicks and then did pec presses and bench presses. HELL NO. I was swearing and sweat was pouring in my eyes and burning them, but I didn't give up.

M and I both completed the workout and I felt GREAT afterwards. Sure, Rob seems like a slave driver when you're at the tail end of your workout, but you love it when all is said and done.

Moving on to the next subject in today's entry: Eating on the Road.

For those who don't know, I travel a lot for work and eating while traveling can be less than desirable. Sometimes you have to eat at restaurants that don't have the best menus, packing food to take with you can be challenging since most of my health stuff needs to stay refrigerated... its not easy, but I made it happen. Here's how:

I had some cottage cheese and fruit for breakfast at my apartment. I brought an apple for a snack. I had to take clients to lunch and they wanted to go to California Pizza Kitchen. Um, yeah... not the best option for me. I ended up with a cup of vegetable soup and a side salad (no croutons) with fat free balsamic vinaigrette. Then, I went to a broker party in the evening that was a football theme. There was TONS of food, but it was all terrible. Biscuits, sausage, gravy, meaty chili, chips and onion dip, five layer Mexican dip, salami and cheese on skewers and these fatty meat rolls with cream cheese. Thank goodness they did have a veggie tray, so I loaded up on cucumbers, celery, cauliflower, etc. with no dip. And because I'm not drinking on this diet, I tried to get away with water, but a beer was actually forced into my hand, so I had no choice but to hold it for show. I had about 2 sips. No biggie.

So my diet yesterday certainly wasn't perfect (I lacked in the protein department, big time) but I think I did the best I possibly could in the given situation and DEFINITELY didn't give in to temptation. That counts for something, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment