Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Broken

I knew it would happen sooner or later. Mostly because I’m not the most coordinated gal around, but also because when you dive headfirst into an exercise routine, there’s the possibility that your body might not agree with what you’re doing.

I’m injured.

Ok, I’m not REALLY injured, but I do have a sore rotator cuff that has been nagging me for about a week. It could be a lot worse. I’ve dealt with a ridiculous knee injury in the past (I tore my ACL and MCL and had almost all of the cartilage removed from my right knee after a nasty spill my freshman year in college), so I know I’m not on my deathbed or anything, but it’s annoying.

Things got particularly tough on Monday night at my training session with Rob. I was doing overhead seesaw presses and the shoulder started to really hurt and become generally uncomfortable. Rob stopped me right away and said no more overhead stuff or arm work, which frustrated me. I mean, I’m paying this dude to kick my ass, right? I WANT to do everything on the workout agenda. However, after Rob explained that he’d rather err on the side of caution because if I push too hard with a sore shoulder and actually really hurt myself, I’d be out of commission for a heck of a lot longer than just a few days. He’s right. I hate it when he’s right.

Of course I got crabby and a little mean (shocker, right?) and pissed and moaned through the rest of the workout, doing easier stuff while Mandi did the actual workout.

Yesterday? Still sore.

Today? Much better.

Rob told me he’s going to do a workout for Mandi and me today with my shoulder in mind, so I foresee many, many squats and lunges in my future. But you know what? That’s why I like working out with Rob. He adjusts to our needs and makes me not feel like a complete weakling for getting a little banged up. And you can bet your bottom dollar that tonight’s workout will be brutal even if it doesn’t have any shoulder work.

No comments:

Post a Comment