Sunday, December 27, 2009

Getting Through the Holidays… Just Barely

Hip-hip-hooray for the holiday season. It’s full of good friends, celebrations, parties, family and of course ridiculous temptation in the form of excessive food and drink. I’d like to say I’m immune to the charms of spinach dip, chips, pigs in a blanket, breakfast casseroles, champagne, margaritas and wine, but I’m not. Really, I don’t think anyone can say they don’t partake a little bit more in their “no-no foods” this time of year. I sure did.

Yes, I know, I’m on a diet. For the most part, I’ve stuck to it. I’ve religiously brought my lunch to work, haven’t missed a training session with Rob and have been going to the gym whenever possible. However, I’m a gal with a lot of friends and social obligations over the holidays. I had parties to attend every weekend. I had dinners with friends. I had family get-togethers. It felt like hardly a day went by where I didn’t have something I had to do. And of course with the parties come the food and booze. And I don’t care if you have Herculean willpower; you’re going to have a few glasses of champagne and some nibbles off the cheese platter. Again, I did.

But the good news is that despite all of my holiday cheer, I still managed to lose weight in December. Sure, I didn’t lose the numbers I’d lost in October and November, but I still lost and didn’t gain. It’s reassuring to know I can get through this holiday season, and therefore future holiday seasons without doing any serious damage. I know I have to get to the gym whenever possible, stick to the diet whenever possible and just sample the goodies. I’ll be fine next year, I know it.

Now that the holidays are wrapping up, I’m fully committed to dropping big numbers in the next few months. This means getting the gym at least 5, if not 6 days a week, cutting the booze out again and keeping my meal plan on point. It shouldn’t be too hard because when the weather is crummy there’s nothing going on socially so I’ll have tons of time to focus on myself. I had my fun in December. Now is the time to refocus and get down to weight loss business.

No comments:

Post a Comment