Saturday, October 2, 2010

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

Last night one of my favorite people, the very cool Budgeting Babe Nicole Mladic (http://thebudgetingbabe.com) told me that I need to get back on the ball with regular blogging. Everyone needs a vacation now and then (which I have clearly taken this summer) but now that fall is here and the urge to go out every night to street fests, parties, BBQs and other calorie-laden spots is subsiding, my weight loss is once again kicking into high gear.

So here I go. Blogging on the regular again. Thanks Nicole, for the push I needed to start writing more than once a month.

So while Nicole has been the push I needed to type out my feelings again, I have to give some props to one of my besties who has been the most supportive friend I’ve had through this weight loss journey, my good friend B.

B is enviably beautiful. Gorgeous, long, blonde hair, killer figure, amazing style and sparkling personality, she’s the kind of person you would meet and immediately hate because you know there’s no way you’ll ever be as amazing as her. You immediately think, “Bitch” and move on with your life. However, for some reason, B and I clicked right away and developed a close friendship. Once you get to know someone, the exterior shell of fabulousness melts away and you see a person for what they really are; and in this case, B has shown herself to be a loyal friend who also has insecurities about her weight.

When I kicked off this diet, I spoke to B about it in detail. She said something interesting. “Angie,” she said, “I’m not a naturally thin person. I can’t eat whatever I want and gain weight. I have to watch every single bite that goes into my mouth and work out a lot to maintain my figure. I have a feeling it’s going to be the same way for you.” For some reason this clicked with me. I’d always, irrationally, I might add, that just because a person is beautiful and seems to have it all pulled together that they don’t work for it. I’d always been jealous of thin girls because I thought they were all just naturally thin. The truth is a majority of thin girls work incredibly hard to maintain their figures. B is one of those girls. It made her seem so much more accessible. It also made getting down to a weight where I can be happy seem so much more achievable. It’s something you work for rather than something you’re just given.

Not only has B been honest and open with her body struggles, she’s also one of my only friends who will do any crazy work out class or diet out there without complaining. Prime example: We’ve done spin, Pilates, gone walking and incessantly discuss how to keep our calories low while maintaining our sanity. It’s cool because in our close-knit group of four girlfriends, we seem to be the only two that think about our diet plan on the regular. We joke about how we can “creep out and be diet losers together.”

B’s support this year has been priceless. I know she knows I feel this way, but the message to you, dear readers, is no one can make life changes on their own. Whether your support comes from a husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, sister, or in my case, good friend, it’s very important.

Cheers to you, B, for giving me the best support I could ever need.

3 comments:

  1. A support system is critical. So glad you have yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie!
    Thanks for the props! I love reading your posts. They're very inspiring and it helps to know I'm not the only one thinking about these things.

    You know, I thought I was destined to keep gaining weight for the rest of my life after turning 30. My mom is overweight and her mom was obese. I could see it happening to myself and that's why I started refocusing on exercise and diet last year.

    My doctor said to me recently, "Not one of my thin patients says it comes naturally. They all count calories, exercise and work really hard to maintain their weight." That stuck with me. Weight is not a destiny. It's a choice we make every day. Congratulations to you on realizing that and for coming so far in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ang, I can't believe it took me almost a month (to the day) to see you had posted this!! I wish you would have told me... ;-)

    Glad I decided to see if my favorite blogger was back in action again yet, and I see she is! What a fabulously sweet, inspirational and really heartwarming post this was. You know I care deeply about our friendship and will do anything to support it and YOU. It has been a truly wonderful experience thus far watching you on your incredible journey of transformation, but the best part is to know that you're still the same, caring and wonderful friend I've grown to known and love no matter how much of the 'old Angie' you continually shed.

    Cheers to our hard word and more to come! I'll always be your creepy diet loser partner in crime ;-)

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete